Monday, November 23, 2009

"For the Sake of My Name

In Ezekiel chapter 20 I came across a reoccurring theme. In 4 verses God says, "For the sake of My name."

20:9, "But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations among whom they lived, in whose sight I made Myself known to them by bringing them out of the land of Egypt."

20:14, "But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, before whose sight I had brought them out."

20:22, "But I withdrew My hand and acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations in whose sight I had brought them out."

20:44, "Then you will know that I am the Lord when I have dealt with you for My name's sake, not according to your evil ways or according to your corrupt deeds, O house of Israel," declares the Lord God."

My study notes say of verse 9, "Name and person are closely connected in the bible. God's name is His identity and reputation - that by which He is known. The phrase used here is equivalent to "for My own sake". God's acts of deliverance - past and future - identify Him, revealing His true nature."

I think about how as Believers we have God's name stamped within our being. We are therefore reflecting who He is and what we do impacts that reflection.

In the Ezekiel passage we read that God is passing judgement upon Israel for their sin. Sin committed by following other gods, and worshiping idols from the nations they live near. Those nations know that God's hand was upon the Israelites by what He did for them when they left Egypt. They knew the nation was a Godly nation. And yet, God's name and reputation were being tarnished by how the Israelites were acting. They were not showing God in a good light. We see that God is bring punishment down upon them to save His name from further ruin. Yet, in all this, because of His name, He does want to keep some of the nation alive.

When we act in a way that reflects more sin then God, we have a problem on our hands. We are tarnishing God's name and not being a good example to those who don't know Him. God's command to us is, "I am the Lord your God; walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and observe them. Sanctify My Sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between Me and you that you may know that I am the Lord your God." Ezekiel 20:19-20. We do all those things so that others may know God by what they seen in us.

I think about my devotional thought this morning about how God's hand can reach down from heaven to touch a life. But in most cases He uses the touch of human hands for His purpose. "He uses those who are the nearest by to lend a helping hand, to comfort, to lift from despair, to stroke the fevered brow of discontent. For how can that discouraged and fretful soul experience the Love of God except through the love of one who is beside Him ready to love. How can that disheartened and downcast should feel the touch of encouragement and peace except by the touch of the closet hand reaching out in a tender concern. It may be a friend or a stranger, but God uses hands which are consecrated to Him for touching lives. You may say that it is only another human being. But what is meant by God if it is not Love?" - Streams in the Desert Vol. 2

In linking my Bible reading to my devotional thought I see that it's vital that if God is living within us that we do our best to reflect Him in the best light. We do that through our actions, speech and reactions. When we observe all that God calls us to observe and maintain a close relationship with Him, then He is able to use us to touch the lives of those in need.

What are you doing for His name?

Krista Jones
9.5.08

Bible Reading Guide:

Beginning to End: Acts 27-28
Old and New Testaments Together: Ezek. 20-21 & James 5
Historical: Luke 21-22
Chronological: Acts 15-16
Blended: 2 Chron. 7-9 & Luke 6:1-26

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: