Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shepherding

This morning I came across Ezekiel 34 and within it I learned a little bit about Shepherding.

Ezekiel 34:1-10 talk about how the shepherds of Israel, the kings and their officials, prophets and priests, had failed in keeping God's commandments. They not only didn't keep His commandments, but partook in the sinning of the nations around them which lead Israel down the wrong path and into destruction. Because of this, their sheep were scattered and they were punished.

Ezekiel 34:11-31 talk about the restoration of Israel. He starts out by saying in verses 11-12, "For thus says the Lord God, Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. As a shepherd cares for his herd in the day when he is among his scattered sheep, so I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day." Here God is saying that He will take control of the flock from the faithless shepherds and save the flock from the nations they have been scattered into.

Verses 14-15 says, "I will feed them in a good pasture, and their grazing ground will be on the mountain heights of Israel. There they will lie down on good grazing ground and feed in rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I will feed My flock and I will lead them to rest," declares the Lord God." I like these verses because it reminds me of how faithful God is to us. Although we get lost and/or have been lost, He found us and brought us back to Himself. And by doing so we dwell with Him, are feed wonderful spiritual food and become spiritually rich.

Verses 24-29 says, "I will make a covenant of peace with them and eliminate harmful beasts from the land so that they may live securely in the wilderness and sleep in the woods. I will make them and the places around My hill a blessing. And I will cause showers to come down in their season; they will be showers of blessing. Also the tree of the field will yield it's fruit and the earth will yield its increase, and they will be secure on their land. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I have broken the bars of their yoke and have delivered them from the hand of those who enslaved them. They will no longer be prey to the nations and the beasts of the earth will not devour them; but they will live securely, and no one will make them afraid. I will establish for them a renowned planting place, and they will not again be victims of famine in the land, and they will not endure the insults of the nations anymore."

I like the last verse of the chapter, verse 31, "As for you, My sheep, the sheep of My pasture, you are men, and I am your God," declares the Lord God.

It is so wonderful that we have a God who is like our shepherd. Shepherds protected their flocks with their lives. If one went missing they'd go in search of it. When they found the lost sheep they'd bring it back to the flock and care for it. When we obey God's commandments and stay close to Him, we are blessed, secure, fed and protected. We no longer are slaves to sin as He has freed us from it through His Son, Jesus. John 10:11 says, "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep."

Thank you God for being my Shepherd. For constantly finding me when I wonder off in what looks like better pastures. Thank you for sending your Son, Jesus, to die for me so that I might be free!

Krista Jones
9.10.08

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: