Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What Motivates You?

"My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul." Psalm 108:1

When I was younger I danced in two regional Ballet companies (regional considered not professional). The first company I joined while I was in Jr High and just old enough to qualify for a company position. That first year I was selected to be in a two year apprenticeship as the directors, Steve and Jan, thought I needed more time before I moved into a full fledged position. In other words, I wasn't quite good enough.

As time went on, Jan left and shortly after the company folded. I ended up at her school and eventually became a principal in her company. By the time I was in High School Steve had a new school. Some time later he had composed music and wanted to choreograph a ballet to it. His school consisted of very young students so he asked if he could use one of our company members. A week before the performance the person he chose backed out and I was asked to fill in. This was my chance to show Steve what I was made of, how much I had improved and what he didn't see while I was under his direction. In 7 days I consumed his ballet like I've never done before.

It was frightening to know that Steve counted on me and I really didn't have adequate enough time to properly learn his ballet. As the music began I allowed myself to surrendered to it completely forgetting that I was in front of an audience. I became the breath of the music. At the end I was on the ground with my face down on the stage so I couldn't see the audience. It was then that I realized that it was silent. No one coughed, rustled the programs, shifted nor clapped. As the curtain closed I thought I had failed and was mortified that I had to give a curtain call. Before the curtain opened I was greeted with loud clapping, bravos and a standing ovation.

Today I ask myself why could I give myself fully to please Steve and hold back when it comes to pleasing Jesus? I wanted to wow Steve so much that I literally gave myself to his ballet. Steve wasn't my savior. In fact, he passed away a few years ago from taking one too many drinks. He was talent and his music was amazing. But in the end, he didn't do anything for me. He didn't sacrifice himself for me. In fact, he overlooked me as not being good enough.

Unlike Steve, Jesus gave up His life so that we may have eternal life. He doesn't overlook anyone and wants us to know Him. If we truly believe in Jesus then we need to start acting like we do. We need to start giving ourselves over to the music of His Heart. We need to fully surrender ourselves to Him in everything we do. Let us be His ballet and show others what He did for them.

Whose music are you surrendering to? Is it the music of nature, self, someone whom you want to please? Or is it Jesus? Dance your heart out to His Music and live your life for Him.

Krista Jones
7.15.07

No comments: