Monday, July 07, 2008

Encouraging Thoughts

"A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25

I often get "encouraging thoughts" from my good friend, Mary Lou, and one of her timeliest contributions came on a day when trying to help os many people who were down in the pit almost had me down there, too. I opened the envelope and here was a cartoon of a bewildered-looking woman tied hand and foot lying on the railroad tracks. The cutline said: "I don't recall asking for any of this!" As I chuckled, I thought: That's right! I didn't ASK for any of this, but it's what I've G"OT, so I'll just take my own advice and stick a geranium in my hat and be happy!

That little envelope from Mary Lou didn't contain anything expensive, profound or "deep," but nonetheless, it picked me up and refreshed me for the rest of the day. I think that's the secret to being a real friend 0 to always be looking for ways to encourage and refresh others.

As you refresh others, you relieve your own pain. YOu may be going through a painful time right now or trying to get over a tremendous loss. If so, try "refreshing" or "watering" another person's life; and as you encourage that person you will find that your own pain is lessened."

By Barbara Johnson, taken from Women's Devotional Bible 1

No comments: