Thursday, July 03, 2008

"To You I lift up my Eyes"

I like what Psalm 123:1-2 says, "To You I lift up my eyes, O You who are enthroned in the heavens! Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, until He is gracious to us."

My study notes say of verse 2, "Similes by which the faithful (men and women alike) present themselves as humbly dependent on God." I think I often forget that I depend on God. Most of the time I depend upon myself or those around me. I'm also reminded about how often we depend on those who are in authority in our society. When we're in trouble we call the police and look to them for protection, help and to solve a problem. At school we look to our teachers and work to our employer. It's not something I personally think about. I just obey and look for instruction because it's what I've always done. But why, as God's servant, do I not obey Him the first time?

Philippians 2:5-8 says, "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." How humbling it is to know that Jesus didn't have to humble Himself by taking on the form of a bond-servant. That He didn't have to die on the cross. But He did. And like this verse says, we need to have the same attitude as He did. That means I obey Him because I am His servant and look to Him for guidance.

There is a guide that never falters,
And when He leads I cannot stray,
For step by step He goes before me,
And marks my path, He knows the way.

Oft-times the path grows dim and dreary,
The darkness hides the cheering ray,
Still I will trust, tho' worn and weary,
My Saviour leads, He knows the way.

He knows the evils that surround me,
The turnings that would lead astray,
No foes of night can ere confound me,
For Jesus leads, he knows the way.

- A. B. Ackley

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6

Krista Jones
2.7.08

No comments: