Friday, August 01, 2008

The Man Who Was Humble

I came upon a few verses in Number 3 when Aaron and Miriam had spoken against Moses out of what looks like jealousy. And jealousy that comes from the encouragement of Aaron's Cushite wife. It seems that they saw Moses as having all the power and they wanted it too. Verse 3 says, "Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth." To me this says that although Moses was in a powerful position that he didn't abuse it. He was more humble than anyone on the face of the earth. And because of this, I think God was able to speak to him face to face.

Within the same chapter God calls Moses, Aaron and Miriam together and tells Aaron and Miriam how He feels about Moses, "He said, "Hear now My words; if there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, shall make Myself known to him in a vision. I shall speak with him in a dream. Not so, with My servant Moses, he is faithful in all My household; with him I speak mouth to mouth, even openly, and not in dark sayings, and he beholds the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against My servant, against Moses?" (vs. 6-8). My notes say that sometimes the prophets didn't always understand what the Lord was revealing to them. Yet with Moses, the Lord chose to speak to him with clarity. He fully understood what the Lord was saying.

Here is Moses, a humble man who spoke face to face with the Lord and lived. He not only lived but he was given clear instruction as to how to lead God's people. I wonder what God's voice sounded like to Moses? Psalm 29:3-9 gives many descriptions of what His voice sounds like: it is upon, over and thunders the waters; it is powerful; majestic; breaks the cedars (as of Lebanon which was the most powerful tree); it hews out flames of fire; shakes the wilderness; makes the deer to calve; stripes the forests bare; and everything says, "glory" to Him. WOW! Here is a powerful voice that can do anything when it speaks. Yet, God was gracious and loving enough to take this powerful voice and gently speak to Moses.

Moses was humble and willing to follow the Lord no matter what. At this point, he didn't abuse the powerful position that was given to him. May we learn from Moses' example!

Krista Jones
2.16.08

No comments: