Friday, January 23, 2009

To be like an Olive Tree

This morning I came back again to Ezra in the book of Nehemiah. Here is the same story that I read in the book of Ezra about the restoration of the wall of Jerusalem, the exiles returning and being read to from the book of the Law by Ezra himself. As I read further I came across the account of the Feast of Booths being restored. The Feast of Booths was the last of the sacred festivals under the old covenant. It was during this time that the people lived in booths and tents to remind themselves of how their forefathers wondered in the wilderness and lived in booths.

Nehemiah 8:15 says, "So they proclaimed and circulated a proclamation in all their cities and in Jerusalem, saying, "Go out to the hills, and bring olive branches and wild olive branches, myrtle branches, palm branches and branches of other leafy trees, to make booths, as it is written."

For some reason the olive branches drew me to inquire of olive trees. My study notes say of olive trees that it takes 30 years to mature and cultivation requires peaceful conditions. It flourishes only near the sea. Olive trees not only supplied branches for the Feast of Booths but also supplied a family with fats and the oil was used to light the temple.

Isaiah 41:17-20 says, "The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and there tongue is parched with thirst; I, the Lord, will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them. I will open rives on the bare heights and springs in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water and the dry land fountains of water. I will put the cedar in the wilderness, the acacia and the myrtle and the olive tree; I will place the juniper in the desert together with the box tree and the cypress, that they may see and recognize, and consider and gain insight as well. That the hand of the Lord has done this, and the Holy One of Israel has created it."

I love verse 41:18, "I will open rivers on the bare heights and springs in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water and the dry land fountains of water." I'm struck by the length and conditions of growing the olive tree. It seems that it has to be grown in very good conditions and near water. One would think if it is placed in the desert that it wouldn't be able to flourish. Yet in Isaiah I read that the Lord will put this tree in the desert and make it flourish just so that we will know that it is He who has done it and that He alone is the Holy One.

As I wonder in the desert I thirst for God's nourishing Word and strength. Nehemiah 8:10b, "Do not be grieved, for the joy of our Lord is your strength." If God can place a sensitive Olive Tree in the dry desert climate, provide it with the right conditions for it to grow by providing it with just the right amount of water and make it flourish then I know He is doing the same for me.

Oh Lord, fill my cup and quench my thirst!

Krista Jones
5.27.08

Bible Reading Guide:

Beginning to End: Exodus 16-18
Old and New Testaments Together: Exodus 7-8 & Matthew 15:1-20
Historical: Exodus 16-18
Chronological: Genesis 32-34
Blended: Isaiah 5-6 & Mark 2

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: