Monday, August 24, 2009

The Antidote for a Troubled Heart

This morning I read a wonderful little story about a soldier who had returned home from the war. Upon his return he told a story about how the grace of God was with him. In this story he told of a time when he attended a dinner in honor of another soldier who had served faithfully in the war and did many wonderful things yet received no reward for it. Someone asked this soldier what was the most wonderful thing he experienced throughout his time of service. This soldier told of meeting a young soldier who was reading his Bible. After asking what he was reading and hearing some passages he told the young soldier to give it up because it wouldn't do anything for him. This young soldier replied, "If you knew what the Bible is to me, you'd never ask me to give it up," and, as he spoke, the light on his face was so bright, I never saw anything like it - it fairly dazzled me. I could not look at it, so I turned and walked away."

Soon afterwards a bomb was dropped in the spot where the young soldier was. Afterwards the soldier telling the story went to see if this young soldier was OK. Sadly he was fatally wounded. The story ends with the soldier saying that he took this young soldier's Bible and kept it with him. "I say the most wonderful thing I experienced during the war was the light on that young soldier's face, and more than that, I can now say that his Saviour is my Saviour too!" - Streams in the Desert, Vol. 2

This story started out with a few verses I wanted to share with you.

John 14:1, "Do not let you heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me."

This verse follows news that was disturbing to the apostles. Jesus had just told them that He was only going to be with them for a little longer. And that they can seek Him but could not follow where He was going. I would say that this greatly troubled them which is why Jesus spoke the words He spoke in 14:1. I like what my study notes say about the word believe. It's "the antidote for a trouble heart."

John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be trouble nor let it be fearful."

Here I am reminded about the repeating to emphasize something. He repeats that He is leaving and giving you His peace. Here Jesus is saying what He will do through the gift of salvation - total well-being, inner rest of spirit and fellowship with God. That this true peace He is talking about in this verse is His gift to us.

What the soldier who was being honored experienced was this gift of peace. He sought peace from the world which didn't last. My study notes say that peace from the world "can only express a longing or wish." Through the light shinning from Jesus on the young soldier's face, the other soldier found true peace from God which is real and present.

I pray that we may be reflecting Jesus so that others may see Him. That the peace they so desperately seek will be found in Jesus Christ. I meet so many people who yearn for that kind of peace. Who are fearful and troubled. May we be God's mirror for them to get a glimpse of who He is and what real peace is all about.

Krista Jones
8.19.08

Beginning to End: Jeremiah 42-45
Old and New Testaments Together: Psalm 116-118 & I Cor. 7:1-19
Historical: Eccles. 9-12
Chronological: Jeremiah 51-52
Blended: Psalm 116-118 & 2 Cor. 3

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: