Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Take the Chance

Last month my husband’s fellow officer was killed in the line of duty. It wasn’t by a bullet but a senseless struggle with someone that need not have happened.

I know the chance my husband takes every time he puts on a uniform. We both know that being a police officer is not the safest job. They deal with many people who just don’t get it. These people can’t seem to make their way out of the mess they’ve allowed themselves to be in. I hear stories and wonder why they continue to live like they do. Then I think about how my husband goes to work and protects these people from themselves. He’s putting his life on the line for people who don’t get it. Am I truly willing to sacrifice my husband for them?

As I think of these things, I am reminded of the sacrifice Jesus made for me. And I’m reminded of the many times I don’t get it and yet Jesus still loves me. How often have I hurt Him to the point of grieving? How often have my actions hurt His Kingdom? Am I truly any better then those my husband has taken an oath to serve and protect? No, I’m not. I am in the same boat as they are. Yet my high almighty attitude is allowing them to jump overboard thinking they’re going for a fun swim. But in all reality, they are swimming in shark-infested water while I’m sitting comfortably on a cushion unwilling to throw them a life preserver.

Just as my husband puts his life on the line for those in the city where he works, Jesus put His life on the line and was willing to die for EVERYONE. Jesus loves us no matter how good or bad we are. If you think that you can get to heaven on the merit of your goodness you are missing the boat all together. I know by saying this I’m going against the warm fuzzy religions of today and will cause some waves. But the truth is, Jesus is the only way. If I don’t tell you straight up then I’m still sitting in the boat watching you take a joy ride with sharks thinking to yourselves that you can’t get hurt. But I know how deadly the next bite can be. The life preserver is being thrown out..........

Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6). Please understand this and think hard about what Jesus did for us all. Christ's death on the cross and his resurrection changed the course of history. We can’t pretend it didn’t happen and we need to make a choice. We can choose to live without Him and continue to not get it. Or we can turn to Him and see the beauty behind the painful death He endured for us. Take the chance and grasp onto the life preserver He’s throwing at you right now. Ask Him to be a part of your life today.

Krista Jones
10.1.06

No comments: