Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Way Home

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12

Mark squirmed as his mother talked to him. She had recently become a Christian and was trying to explain how he could receive Christ as Savior, too. "I want you to be in heaven with me someday," she said.

"Don't worry, Mom," answered Mark. "Uncle George says I'm such a good boy that if anybody makes it to haven, I will."

"Uncle George is a very smart man, but he's mistaken about the way to heaven," Mom replied, "it's not your goodness that will take you there. Jesus is the only way."

Mark turned toward the door. He didn't want to talk about salvation anymore. "I have to go finish my paper route collections now," he said, hurrying out of the kitchen.

As Mark was buys on his route, he saw a girl and a little boy, "Don't cry. I know how to get to 102 Shelby Street," he heard the girl say. "You go that way one block," she said, pointing north, "and turn right. That's Main Street. Then go three blocks and you come to Shelby. Your house is right there on the corner." Mark frowned. Those directions weren't right!

As the girls went into her house, Mark met the boys. "You're Jimmy Jones, aren't you?" exclaimed Mark. "I deliver papers to your house. Remember me?" the little boy looked at him and nodded. "That girl gave you the wrong directions," said Mark. "You have to turn left at Main Street, not right." Jimmy's lip began to tremble, and Mark took his hand. "I'll take you home, OK?" Mark asked. Happily, Jimmy nodded, and soon Mark had delivered him to his family.

On the way home, Mark thought about what had happened. Suddenly he realized that he was just like Jimmy! He was trying to follow directions to heaven that were given by someone who didn't know the way. He needed to listen to what God said in His Word, and God said Jesus was the only way. I was Jimmy's way home because I took him there, he thought. Jesus is the way to heaven. I want Him to be my Savior and take me there.

How about you?: Are you following the right directions to heaven? God knows how you can get there. His directions are found in his Book, the Bible. He says you must trust in Jesus, the only way to heaven. Trust Jesus today.

Taken from "The One Year Book of Devotions for Kids"

No comments: