Wednesday, January 16, 2008

God's Promise

I just got done reading about the flood and God's promise to never destroy the earth and all living upon it by a flood again. I often forget about this promise when I see a rainbow. That the rainbow is a constant reminder of the covenant God made with us (Genesis 9:12-17). How often I forget to fulfill my promises? Every time a rainbow appears God is reminded not to destroy us by flood ever again. I'm quite sure that our society is very much like the society of Noah's time. I'm sure God has been torn up and angry over what we're doing today. Yet, as much as we anger Him with our sin, He has kept his promise. "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.

Spurgeon said, "We never prize the precious words of promise till we are placed in conditions in which their suitability and sweetness are manifested." As I look in the concordance of my Bible I see that there are many instances where God promises us something. It means that there is a promise in the Bible that speaks to each one of us. Let us remember the precious promises God has sprinkled through the Word and "rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil." Psalm 119:162.

Krista Jones
1.5.08

No comments: