Friday, January 18, 2008

Got Water?

I recently went to a Study Retreat and discovered that I need to have a deeper thirst for the Word and my Lord. During this study I learned some interesting facts about water and what it meant to people during Biblical times. Water was not easy to come by and wells were often located outside the city walls where it had to be brought in one jar at a time. Some cities were fortunate enough to have wells inside their city walls and at least 2 cities, including Jerusalem, were known for bring their water into the city through an underground tunnel.

It didn't rain for six months out of the year which often caused the wells to dry up. Water carriers would peddle water they got at the wells and went through the market place calling out, "Ho, ye thirsty ones, come ye and drink." There were times when philanthropic persons paid the water carrier for all his supply of water and offer it to people free of charge. He would call forth, "Ho, ye thirsty ones, come and drink today for nothing, for nothing!" Such words remind us of the prophetic invitation of Isaiah: "Ho, every one who thirsty, come to the water. And you who have no money come buy and eat, by wine and milk. Without money and without cost." Isa. 55:1. The water from the well of Bethlehem was different and highly desired. It collected it's water from the hillsides and vineyards around the city which kept it delightfully cool in the summer months. It was this water that David yearned for in 2 Sam. 23:15 and the water his three mighty men risked their lives for when they went through enemy lines to get for him.

We don't have to think about our water because it's in great supply and easy to come by. Therefore, we've taken our thirst elsewhere and have filled ourselves up with things of this world. Kind of like my Mountain Dew habit. It's not good for me yet I desire to drink it. It's full of nothing but bad things, fills me up, makes me feel yucky and unsatisfied. Oh that we would desire to thirst and fill ourselves up with God and His Word. To yearn for Him like David yearned for the cool water from the well of Bethlehem. The Psalmist said, "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go meet with God?" WOW! "When can I go meet with God?" He thirst so much that he was WANTING to spend time with the Lord.

Since water is free for the taking, we don't really realize the impact of what the Water of Life being free meant back in Biblical times. I can see why people wanted to know where they could get this free water because the availability of water was scarce. Rev. 22:17 says, "The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come, and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life." The Bible also says, "if any is thirsty let him come to me (Jesus) and drink." John 7:37. Whoever accepts it will be filled and satisfied. John 4:14 says, "But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to the eternal life." Psalms 107:9 also says, "for He satisfies the thirsty."

When I drink lots of water I notice that when my body needs it it tells me right away. I feel the thirst and can be only satisfied by drinking water. I want to get to the point where I thirst deeply for the Lord. That if I'm not getting my daily intake of it I "feel" the yearning of being filled by the Lord alone. "Blessed are those who huger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matt. 5:6.

What do you thirst for? Does what you fill your life with satisfy you? Or are you left feeling like you have a Mountain Dew yucky empty feeling? Jesus is the one and only true way to fill your emptiness. Do you want to drink from the cool water He's offering?

Krista Jones
1.14.08

No comments: