Monday, March 17, 2008

Imitators of the Living God

On Saturday I went to a celebration of life memorial for my daughter's friend Codey. I really didn't want to go and dreaded is all day Friday. Had a hard time sleeping and felt anxious all night. But, my daughter's class was going to perform Codey's favorite song and we felt it was a great way for us all to get closure on his death.

Katelyn and I got there early for practice and as soon as I walked in the doors and heard the youth band practicing I broke into tears. I didn't think I could manage sitting through the whole service. But in time the service started and I could tell that it wasn't going to be like any other service. There was hope in this service. Knowing that Codey knew the Lord made me feel less anxious. Seeing 400 people come together to honor his life was amazing. His mother was shocked by how many people's lives were touched by Codey. That little guy made a big difference in all of our lives in only 10 short years. We all cried, laughed and celebrated one special boy together as a whole community.

I walked away feeling exhausted and tear stained but finally at peace with what happened. I also walked away with the reminder of how Codey's life reflected Jesus and that I, 27 years his senior, have yet to do that to the extent he did. I sometimes have to stop and think about helping people where he just did it. It was imbedded in his DNA to be a friend to all regardless of age, race or popularity.

I am blessed to have known Codey for 3 short years and will miss that goofy little face coming up to me in the morning saying, "hi" and asking where Katelyn was. Sadly, this year the boys and girls don't "hang" out like they did last year so I haven't seen him as often. But I will remember his kindness, respectfulness and that infectious smile.

When I think about Codey and even Eric's step-Grandfather, Donny, I think about this verse, "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma." (Ephesians 5:1). Both Codey and Grandpa Donny died tragic deaths that could have been avoided. But because of their deaths others lives have been touched and changed. I have no idea who may come to the Lord after yesterday's service. But I pray that we all walked away different.

I pray that we can be imitator's of the Living God. That we will walk into people's lives like a bright light filling them with Jesus.

Krista Jones
3.15.08

No comments: