Friday, April 11, 2008

Imagine That

"I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done." Psalm 145:5

What would you think if you saw your neighbor and her four children lying in the grass and pointing up to the sky? That's one of the things we'd do during the summer when I was growing up. Mom would have us find pictures in the clouds and then draw them. While we drew, Mom would teach us about clouds or whatever we were drawing.

Other times we would write and perform plays. WSe had a big hearth that made a great stage. Sometimes we wrote in parts for Mom and Dad and performed for our own pleasure.

My favorite was to pretend that our house was a giant boat on an imaginary journey. Our travels took us to the Coral Sea, across the Atlantic, up the Nile River and down the Mississippi River. And we never failed to sail right into a monsoon, which made the game much more exciting. We'd scream and bounce around like we were being tossed about on the waves. Not only did we have fun, but we learned more about geography and boats than we ever did in school.

Now as an adult, my imagination is the servant of my creativity and my faith. I love to research the facts about bible times and places - I dig right into those history books. Then, as I read the Bible I don't have any trouble imagining what things were really like, I can almost smell the pungent passengers on Noah's ark or feel the rough wood of a tiny boat rocking on the Galilean waves. My bible study comes alive as I put myself in the times, the places and the personalities of the men and women whose faith is my example.

Your imagination can be used for good or for evil. To empathize with the feelings and thoughts of other . . . or to enhance your prayer life are two of the uses of your imagination that please and glorify God.

By Brenda M. Josee, Ed, taken from "Women's Devotional Bible 2"

No comments: