Friday, September 05, 2008

Hyssop

"Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Psalm 51:7

Hyssop is a member of the mint family. The hairy stem of the much-branched plant is used as a sprinkling device because it retains water very well. In the O.T. it was used in ceremonial cleansing and purification rituals. It is thought that during the crucifixion the Hyssop was used to give Jesus the sour wine. "After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty." A jar full of our wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth." John 19:28-29.

When Jesus was about to die it was like He was being cleansed with the hyssop just like the Psalmist was asking God to do for him. We who have placed our lives in Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him have have been cleansed and are whiter than snow. Jesus had to go through the dark valley of death so that we could be free from the bondage of sin and be cleansed as with hyssop.

Sometimes it's hard to go through difficult trials especially ones that can not be changed but have to be endured. I came across a devotional this morning that talked about this very thing. "My God, I have never thanked Thee for my thorn! I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my 'thorn'; I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross, but I have never thought of my cross as itself as present glory. Teach me the glory of my cross; teach me the value of my 'thorn.' Show me that I have climbed to Thee by the path of pain. Show me that my tears have made my rainbow." George Matheson.

Lord, may we learn from our trials, sins and the 'thorn' that is often placed in our lives. Cleanse us with hyssop that we may be clean again. Clean as the whitest snow that is pure and untouched in the bright sunshine of the morning. May we come to a point of praise for the 'thorn' that we must endure. That it may teach us to glory the cross and that through that path of pain we may see that beautiful rainbow and feel your loving arms close around us in love. - Amen

God, pity those who can not say;
"Not mine, but Thing"; who can pray
"let this cup pass," and cannot see
The purpose in Gethsemane.

- Unknown

Krista Jones
2.21.08

No comments: