Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When God Withholds His Hand . . . .

I came across a chapter in Psalms that I held close to me shortly after I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in August 2000. My friend gave it to me because it was one that she clung to while her infant son was on life support.

Psalm 13

1How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
2How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
3Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.
5But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

Beside this chapter I have written, "When God withholds His hand, trust His heart." (Aug. 17, 2000). I find it interesting that the notes in my study Bible says of the verse 1-2, "An anguished complaint concerning a prolonged serious illness." I didn't know that 8 years ago. I think this goes for any trial we go through. And I think it's important to remember that no matter what we go through that we can still trust in God and rejoice because "He has dealt bountifully with me."

Note: My friends son survived and is a healthy 9-year-old today.

Krista Jones
2.13.08

No comments: