Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prayer

"May my prayer be counted as incense before You; the lifting up of my hands as the evening offering." Psalm 141:2

Incense was an aromatic substance made of gums and spices that were burned, especially in religious worship. In this chapter is was "symbolical of the ascending prayer of the officiating high priest." Usually it was the high priest who led the sacrifices and offerings and were the only ones to deal with incense. In fact, in Lev. 10, Aaron's sons died because of their improper use it. In Rev. 8:3-5 an angel burns incense on the golden alter. The smoke from it ascends with the prayer of the Saints. It's obvious that incense was important in worshiping the Lord.

Here the Psalmist is praying that what he says will be like the sweet aroma of incense before God. Seeing how I struggle in this area I was touched by this verse. I pray that our prayers go beyond the requests and become prayers of praise before our Lord.

I also read about how the Israelites passed through the Jordan River on dry ground. I wonder what those who carried the ark felt as they walked up to the river holding the ark. God had told Joshua not to be afraid and courageous. That He was going to give the land across the Jordan to them. They only had to obey His commandments. It must have been a day of excitement and fear all balled up in one. And here are the priests at the edge of the river looking over it wondering if God would come through on His promise. With anticipation we can see them step up to the water and as soon as their feet touch it, it rolls back and stays away at a distance.

Sometimes I feel like those priests. I'm at the edge of the water wondering how I'll get to the other side. Change is going to take place and I don't like to change. I fear and dread it. Yet, God is calling for it so I must follow. He is asking us to trust Him and step out onto the water because He will take care of us and pave a way for us to cross over the change.

Are you feeling just like I've been feeling? Is there a change that is coming in your future or happening to you now? Look to Jesus, lift up your voice to Him and ask Him for strength and courage to carry you through this moment of change. Let our prays be like sweet aroma to Him. He is there waiting to hear from you. What are you waiting for?

Krista Jones
3.11.08

No comments: