Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Trusting God

"Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child rests against his Mother, my soul is like a weaned child within me." Psalm 131:2

My study notes say, "A child of four or five who walks trustingly beside his mother."

I think back to when I had my babies. As infants they are so dependent on you to care for them that it can be frightening. I felt so much compassion for my babies as I knew they were in a big cold world not knowing anything but Eric and I. I also remember feeling like McMama and that as soon as they wanted to nurse it was like they pulled up to the dive thru ordering a big tall glass of milk 24/7. As difficult as it was to nurse at times I knew it was my milk that continued to sustain their little lives.

My oldest was an independent one and weaned herself at 7 months old. I could have kept her going for another few months only nursing her at night but I was as ready to stop as ready as she was to be on her own. From that point on she started to explore the world around her more and more. Yet, her security and trust was still within us, her parents. She still looked up to us with those trusting eyes knowing we'd tenderly care for her.

It's the same way with our Heavenly Father. As spiritual infants we are depended upon Him and we drink all the milk we can growing into a toddler. As spiritual toddlers we begin eating solid food and exploring the world around us. Yet all the time holding the Lord's hand because we trust Him to care for us. We trust Him because we know that He has held nothing from us. Even His one and only Son was given to us as a Savior so that we could have eternal life with Him. As parents we know we'll sacrifice anything for the protection of our children just like God sacrificed His Son for our protection.

This morning I read a story in my devotional about a Father's sacrificial love for his daughter.

"God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself. (II Cor. 5:19)

There is on record a story of how a tribe of North American Indians who roamed in the neighborhood of Niagara offered year by year a young virgin as a sacrifice to the Spirit of the Mighty River.

"She was called 'The Bride of the Falls.'

"The lot fell one year on a beautiful girl who was the only daughter of an old chieftain. The news was carried to him while he was still in his tent; but on hearing it, the old man went o smoking his pipe, and said nothing of what he felt.

"On the day fixed for the sacrifice a white canoe, full of ripe fruits, and decked with beautiful flowers, was ready, waiting to receive The Bride.'

"At the appointed hour she took her place in the frail bark which was pushed out into mid-stream, where it would e carried swiftly toward the mighty cataract.

"Then, to the amazement of the crowd which had assembled to watch the sacrifice, a second canoe was seen to dart out from the rivers bank a little lower down the stream.

"In it was seated the old chieftain.

"With swift strokes he paddled towards the canoe in which was his beloved child, and, on reaching it, he gripped it firmly, and held it fast.

"The eyes of both met in one last long look of love; and then, close together, father and daughter were carried by the racing current until they plunged over the thundering cataract and perished side by side.

"In their death they were not divided.

"The father was 'in it' with his child!

"God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself,' He did not have to. Nobody forced Him. The only force behind that sacrifice was the force of His seeking love for His lost world." - Selected.

Let us ponder, believe, and gladly follow, in His steps, into sacrificial service." - Streams in the Desert Volume 2

We are like weaned children resting against Him. We take His hand and walk forward trusting that He will care for us. Psalm 56:11 says, "In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid."

Krista Jones
3.8.08

No comments: