Monday, November 17, 2008

Riding the Fence?

Today I came across a minor Bible character in I Kings 18 named Obadiah. Obadiah was a common name in the O.T. and means, "servant of the Lord." This particular Obadiah was the governor of Ahab's household. He greatly feared the Lord but also feared Ahab even more then the Lord. When Jezebel destroyed the prophets of the Lord, Obadiah protected 100 prophets and hid them in a cave continuing to provide them with food and water (I Kings 18:4).

It was this Obahiah who meet Elijah on his mission from Ahab to search the region for water. Obahiah, "recognized him (Elijah) and fell on his face and said, "Is this you, Elijah my master?"' Obahiah knew of Elijah and knew that he was God's prophet. At this point Elijah asks Obahiah to go back to Ahab and tell him, "Behold, Elijah is here." (I Kings 18:8). From what I can tell of Obahiah is that he had been riding the fence. He serves an evil King and obeys his commands yet he greatly feared the Lord and secretly saved 100 prophets from the Queen. Elijah is now asking him to publicly identify himself with him. He is also asking Obahiah to disobey Ahab by stopping his mission to give him this message from Elijah. Here is the turning point for Obahiah. He knew what his disobedience and siding with Elijah would mean, "What sin have I committed, that you are giving your servant into the hand of Ahab to put me to death?" (vs. 18:9).

I find myself identifying with Obahiah. I remember making the choice to become a Christian at the ripe old age of 5 years old. As I grew up I started to ride the fence with rebellion on one side and the Lord on the other. I knew no other life outside of a Christian home and I started to become drawn to a life that was different from my own. I didn't want to be good old Krista who did what she knew was right. I made the choice to follow my own way and leave the Lord behind by joining the party scene and drinking. I hid it from my parents and church family.

Not much is said of Obadiah after verse 15 other then he did what Eljiah asked, "So Obadiah went to meet Ahab and told him; and Ahab went to meet Elijah." (18:16). Somehow he fought that white picket fence and chose a side. And with that, he was part of God's plan.

I remember the day I was asked by God to choose a side. It was during church family camp when my best friend and I heard a sermon that seemed to speak to us. To this day I'm not even sure what it was that spoke to me about having faith like a mustard seed that can move mountains but that night I started to fear the Lord and what would happen to me when I died. We had planned on getting buzzed off of wine coolers we brought with us after everyone went to sleep. It was like the two worlds (rebellious and church) were colliding before my very eyes and I felt like I was playing with fire. I was looking forward to drinking at family camp where my parents and pastor were present. Instead, we sat up most of the night discussing our fear of death and afterlife and instead choose to turn our lives around. That night I talked to the Lord like I never had and rededicated my life to Him. Just like Obahiah's obedience to Elijah to give his message to Ahab was a turning point.

If you are at a crossroads in your life and are feeling the Lord tugging at you I pray that you will open your heart and soul to hear what He has to say. We have two choices. We can either follow God or Satan. And because God is a loving Father who doesn't force us into following Him, He will allow you to choose. It is up to you.

Mark 10:45 says, "For even the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give His life a ransom for many." Did you read that right? He "gave His life a ransom for many." You have been ransomed and set from from sin. It also says in Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Jesus loves you and died for you so that you would be free. All you need to do is to take that first step towards Him. It'll be the hardest step as I know fear in some form will be urging you to not take that step because of the consequences you'll have to deal with. But life with knowing Jesus is by far more joyful then life without. Do you want to fill that emptiness you're feeling? Then take that first step by realizing that you are living a life apart from the Living and Loving God. Confess to Him that you are a sinner (as we all are) and are in need of a Savior. He has already paid the price for your sins and is just waiting for you to take that step to freedom through Him. "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9.

I love what 2 Corinthians 5:17 says about us once we turn to Jesus and ask Him to be Lord of our lives, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away, behold, new things have come." Your old life has passed away and you are a new creature. It doesn't mean life will be easy and the consequences of your sinful past will have to be dealt with. BUT, you have a loving God who will be your guide and be by your side while you go through the trials of your life. You will never be alone again.

What side of the fence are you going to choose?

Krista Jones
4.19.08

No comments: