Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Two for one deal

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad." Proverbs 12:25

I love this verse because it's like a two for one deal.

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down" - I have often found myself with anxious thoughts or dealing with things that cause anxiety to well up within me. And the statement is so true as you physically "feel" the weight of your anxiety within your soul and body which affects your health, sleep and emotions.

It is good to know that we have a loving Father who cares for our anxious thoughts as the Psalmist reminds us in Psalm 94:18-19, "If I should say, "My foot has slipped," your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul."

On the flip side, the rest of the verse says, "but a good word makes it glad." How often it is true that our words can bring uplifting joy into someone's heart. Proverbs 15:23 says, "A man has joy in an apt answer, and how delightful is a timely word!"

Are you anxious about anything? Does it control who you are, your sleep, your actions and words? I know there are often times when I'm anxious it tends to seep out of me through my words.

Nip anxiety in the bud and turn your anxious thoughts to the Lord before it seeps out of you. Keep yourself in His Word and close by His side in order to be used by Him to be an encouragement at the right time.

Krista Jones
7.17.08


Bible Reading Guide:

Beginning to End: Job 29-31
Old and New Testaments Together: 2 Chron. 32-33 & John 18:19-40
Historical: Ezek. 32-34
Chronological: Proverbs 19-21
Blended: Jeremiah 12-14 & Matthew 22:23-46

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: