Friday, October 30, 2009

Lessons from a Ezekiel

Ezekiel Chapter 1 talks about the vision Ezekiel had about the Four Living Beings. I have a hard time picturing these beings but there are a few things I can learn from them.

1. I was impressed that their faces never turned. They looked straight ahead, "their wings touched one another; their faces did not turn when they moved, each went straight forward." Ezekiel 1:9

This is telling me to stick to the path God has planned for me. Don't turn to the right or left but look straight ahead. I know what path to travel because God has given me His Word to read and live by.

2. I was also impressed about how they moved and who moved them. "Wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go in that direction. And the wheels rose close besides them; for the spirit of the living beings was in the wheels. Whenever those went, these went; and whenever those stood still, these stood still, and whenever those rose from the earth, the wheels rose close beside them; for the spirit of the living beings was in the wheels." Ezekiel 1:20-21

This is telling me that I need to allow the Holy Spirit to move in my life and direct me. In order to do this I need to stay in tune to God and that can be done also though His Word and the impressions I get. Those impressions have to be carefully considered and weighted against the Word.

3. They knew how unworthy they were in God's holy presence, "Under the expanse their wings were stretched out straight, on toward the other; each one also had two wings covering its body on the one side and on the other." Ezekiel 1:23

This is reminding me that God is holy. From what I learned about these living beings who attended God in the throne room in Isaiah, they used their wings to cover themselves because they were not worthy to be in God's presence. God is holy and I need to be remindful of His holiness and how unworthy I am. Yet, as I learned in Isaiah, even though I'm not worthy, He still covers me with His love and cares for me. He wants me to know HIm and be His child.

4. Ezekiel chapter 2 deals with God speaking to Ezekiel and telling him what to say to the Israelites. Twice He impressed upon Ezekiel that no matter what do not be afraid of them. "And you, son of man, neither fear them nor fear their words, though thistles and thrones are with you and you sit on scorpions; neither fear their words nor be dismayed at their presence, for they are a rebellious house." Ezekiel 2:6. This is again repeated in Chapter 3, "Like emery harder then flint I have made your forehead. Do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them, though they are a rebellious house." Ezekiel 3:9

I can learn from these passages that speaking the truth can and at times will be very difficult. I will come against opposition (thistles, thrones and scorpions) and it may hurt. But one thing I can do to help myself is to strengthen myself by reading the Word, praying and deepening my relationship with the Lord. By doing those thing I will be equipped to do whatever God is calling me to do.

Krista Jones
8.30.08

Bible Reading Guide:

Beginning to End: Luke 14-16
Old and New Testaments Together: Jer. 20-21 & 2 Tim. 4
Historical: Matthew 15-17
Chronological: Luke 17:11-18:14
Blended: 2 Samuel 14-15 & I John 4

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: