Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wealth

"But Lord," Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." Judges 6:15

Some of us feel that it is a lack of money that holds us down. Gideon replied to God's request, " But Lord . . . how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least of my family." (Judges 6:15). With no finances behind him t all, Gideon was turned into a wise prophet by God's commanding power. Many times I have had sweet Christians tell me they cannot have friends in for fellowship because they do not have good china or matching napkins, because their house is to small, or because their talent is too slight. But these are only excuses for our unwillingness to do as God has asked us. "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling" (I Peter 4:9). I would enjoy a peanut butter sandwich if someone else prepared it and handled it to me.

The world tells us that we need money to be happy, but as God told Gideon, "I will be with you" (Judges 6:16). Should not his presence be assurance enough?

By Florence Littauer, taken from, "Women's Devotional Bible 1"

Bible Reading Guide:

Beginning to End: Mark 15-16
Old and New Testaments Together: Isaiah 65-66 & I Tim. 2
Historical: Romans 8-10
Chronological: Matthew 18
Blended: I Samuel 25-26 & I Tim. 2

The Bible reading guides will be taken from Back to the Bible

No comments: