Wednesday, September 20, 2006

How Do You React?

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these vitrues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14

Pascal says: "One-half of the ills of life come because men are unwilling to sit down for thirty minutes to think through all the possible consequences of their acts."

I've been thinking about a lot of things I've done over the past year. To be honest with you, some of what I've said and done hasn't been done in a loving manner. I came across this quote in a devotional today and wanted to share it with you. I know there are times in our lives when we get hurt, scared and angry over what has been done or said to us. I have been caught red handed in being selfish in how I handled a few situations over the year. Instead of being loving I was horrible and unkind and even to this day still am. I love this quote. Just imagine if we all took some quiet time to sit and think before we acted? How would doing this simple act change the course of our lives?

I know I wish I would have taken the time to think before I acted. If I'd reacted with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience I may be in a different position then I am today. I encourage you to take the time to breathe, turn away from whatever hurt that is being thrown your way and take the time to think before you react. We can not get through life without disagreements or confrontations but we are in control of how we react to them. May we reflect Jesus instead of ourselves.

Krista Jones
9.19.06

No comments: