Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Singing

"Break forth into singing." Isaiah 49:13

There is a beautiful story which tells of song birds being brought over the sea. There were thirty-six thousand, mostly canaries. The sea was very calm when the ship first sailed, and the little birds were silent. They kept their little heads under their wings and not a note was heard. But the third day out at sea, the ship struck a furious gale. The passengers were terrified. Children wept. Then a strange thing happened. As the tempest reached it's height, the birds began to sing, first one, then another, until the thirty-six thousand were singing as if their little throats would burst.

When the storm rises in its fury, do we then begin to sing? Should not our song break forth in tenfold joy when the tempest begins?

"I can hear the songbirds singing their refrain
It is morning in my heart;
And I know that life for me begins again,
It is morning in my heart.

"It is morning, it is morning in my heart,
Jesus made the gloomy shadows all depart;
Songs of gladness now I sing,
For since Jesus is my King,
It is morning, it is morning in my heart."

Oh God, wilt Thou teach us to begin the music of heaven! Grant us grace to have many rehearsals of eternal Hallelujahs! "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy Name!"

Try singing! Singing in the storm!

By Mrs. Charles E. Cowman taken from "Springs in the Valley"

No comments: