Thursday, November 02, 2006

Trials

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trials, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

Trials are something we all go through. Although it is not easy to experience trials it is essential to our growth as Believers and individuals. Over the weekend I went to my church's women's retreat. This one was unlike any other retreat I've attended. Like past retreats I stayed up too late and ate way too much junk food. But this one was different in the fact that I heard two testimonies that were given from the heart. They were given from deep down where the hurts lie buried and were exposed bare for all to hear. I was touched by how Jesus drew these two women out of their painful past experiences to become the women I know them to be today. Their stories made this retreat real. For that morning the surface Christianity we all see was gone and true faith was shown. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room as we all related to something being said.

Why do we experience trials? It's a painful question we often ask ourselves as we experience them. I personally have been through a fair amount of trails. During each trial I was alone, hurting, angry and scared. Why was God putting me through this now? Didn't He love me enough? If He loved me He would save me from this painful experience.

Why? Because the things we experience make us who we are. They give us a testimony that can be used to reach out to others going through their own trials. Because through trials we learn to trust in God more and grow to know just how much He cares for us. Why did I experience all I did? Because it has trained me to be who I am today and for the future trials I'll experience. Helen Keller said, "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trail and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved." If you know anything about Helen Keller, you'll know that she achieved much despite being unable to hear or see. She was one who knew what suffering and trials were all about and yet, she never let them destroy who she was. She allowed them to teacher her who she could be and gave her a voice to help others.

If you are going through a trial at the moment, DON'T GIVE UP! Cling to what you know is true. When you feel like you are alone remember that Jesus loves you and is with you. Turn to someone to help see you through this moment in time. If you've experienced painful trials in the past be more willing to open up to others and help them. How can we help others not feel like we did if we don't open ourselves to them? Imagine what life would be like if we didn't always go around saying we're fine and started to be real? There is someone out there who has been through what you're going through. Now take it a step further and realize that even Jesus understands because He experienced everything before you did. That's why He knows what you're going through. I encourage you to read His testimony in the Gospel of John to see for yourself.

You are NEVER ALONE.

Krista Jones
11.1.06

No comments: