Friday, October 03, 2008

Are you your own worst enemy?

Psalm 86:11 says, "Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name."

My Bible study notes say that David's dependance on God here is complete as well as his devotion to God. What he is saying is that he still needs to be saved from his enemies from the outside but also from his frailty within. He knows he is his worse enemy and seeks to be united with his God. God wants us to watch over our hearts as He tells us in Proverbs 4:23, "Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life." It is important to guard my heart from the world with all diligence so that it doesn't become separated from our God. How are people to know the Lord if we are united with the world? How are our children to learn about Him if we united with the world? I think of how I want to break the chains of horrible things that have bound my family for generations so that the generations after me will not have to suffer the same way. What I would like to do is start a chain of God that future generations can attach themselves to. A glorious chain of love, obedience and sharing the Good News. God says, "And I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me always, for their own good and for the good of their children after them." (Jer. 32:39)

Let us not forget to seek our God diligently. By doing so we continue to become fully united with Him and separated from the world. He tells us in Deuteronomy 4:29 & 31, "There you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul . . . . . For the Lord your God is a compassionate God; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers which He swore to them." WOW, by seeking the Lord with all our heart and soul we are guaranteed the promises He has given to us.

Oh that it would be so easy!!! I still feel like the Israelites who have seen with their own eyes the miracles and power of God and yet, cannot seem to keep His commandments. It seems like such a simple thing to do. Follow God's commandments and prosper in the promised land protected by Him. Hello! easy peasy. Yet, I read and understand what I need to do but fail to follow it just like the Israelites did. I can be my worse enemy and need protection from what my sinful nature desires. I pray that we will yearn to have a united heart that fears the Lord. That we will not only hear what the Word has to say but apply it in our daily living. I understand that it doesn't guarantee an easy life but it does guarantee an eternal life filled with joy. It guarantees that you are never alone in your struggles, pain and suffering. That you have a loving Father in heaven who will gently guide you through your life if only you seek to unite your heart with Him.

Krista Jones
2.28.08

No comments: