Thursday, October 02, 2008

No water is too deep for our God!

Last night during my reading I came across Psalm 81:7, "You called in trouble and I rescued you; I answered you in the hiding place of thunder; I proved you at the waters of Meribath."

I know I might be taking this out of context but I was stuck by the awesomeness of our God. How powerful and mighty He is. How He is in control of all things great and small. That out of His mighty thunder He reaches down to us with a gentle hand to rescue us. Psalm 18:15 talks about how powerful God is, "Then the channels of water appeared, and the fountains of the world were laid bare at your rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of Your nostrils." I pretty sure this is referring to when the Israelites walked across the sea floor while God kept the waters parted. "At the blast of Your nostrils the waters were piled up, the flowing waters stood up like a heap; the deeps were congealed in the heart of the sea." (Exodus 15:8).

And even as powerful and great as God is, He is still concerned with the small details of our lives. "The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands." (Psalm 19:1).

Here's a tid-bit from my devotional reading this morning: "God is great in great things, but very great in little things," says Henry Dyer. "A party stood on the Matterhorn admiring the sublimity of the scene, when a gentleman produced a pocket microscope, and having caught a fly, placed it under the glass. He reminded us that the legs of the household fly in England were naked, then called attention to the legs of this little fly, which were thickly covered with hair, thus showing that the same God who made the lofty Swiss mountains had also attended to the comfort of His tiniest creatures, even producing socks and mittens for the little fly whose home these mountains were. This God is our God!" (taken from Streams in the Desert Volume 2).

I can see that when the trials come into my life and I wonder if God really cares about what I'm going through that He does care. If He cares enough to cloth the little Matterhorn fly then He cares enough to cloth me with His love. That when my trials are as deep as the deepest waters He is still deeper. I sometimes feel like the Israelites standing at the water's edge with the Egyptian army behind me wondering which way to turn. And here God provides a way of escape by parting the deep waters for me. Out of his great thunder He rescues. No water is too deep for our God!

Krista Jones
2.27.08

No comments: