Friday, October 17, 2008

Controlling our Tongues

Controlling the tongue was the topic of my evening Bible reading. And I might say that there are times when my tongue has been unleashed it has been so destructive that I am ashamed about it. Proverbs 21:23 says, "He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from troubles." Ok, now isn't that the truth?! Off of this verse I was lead to Proverbs 13:3 which says, "The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; the one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin." In my study notes on this verse it says that the ability to control the tongue is one of the clearest marks of wisdom. YIKES! If this is the truth then I've got a longer way to go then I had previously thought.

Last summer Eric and I went to his step-grandfather's funeral. Donny was such a quiet man that I never really got to know him. Eric worked for him while in high school and knew him pretty well but we were unable to get in good visits with that side of the family while Donny was alive. I was deeply touched by the testimony of his life and how much he ministered and touched the community in which he lived and worked in. One thing that was repeated by many was that Donny never had a bad thing to say about anyone. No matter what he went through or what was done to him he seemed to always find the good out of any situation. He was an encourager, servant and lover of Jesus who allowed Jesus to shine brightly through his life. WOW! What a legacy to leave behind for his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren to live by.

There was a time in my life where I guarded my tongue better. It may be because I was shy and afraid to talk. I had more control and kept things to myself. Then, I found my voice and have been forming opinions ever since. If I feel I'm right I will let my tongue have it's way just to prove my point. And along the way I have hurt many not realizing that my words could be very damaging. James 3:8 says, "But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison." I have watched my words cut people down and I have watched my words build them up. There is much power in our words and if we're not careful we can abuse a gift that God has given to us all. The gift of speech is a beautiful thing if used properly.

Benjamin Franklin once said, "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." Humm, interesting quote to ponder . . . . .

I walked away from Donny's funeral deeply saddened because I never took the time to get to know the man so many called their friend. Donny's life was cut short in my eyes but it was apparent that he was called home. His purpose was complete. And yet, it still lives on and can only live on by those of us who will teach our children to live like their Grandpa Donny. To aspire to be a person who will be known as a servant, loving all and never saying anything bad about anyone.

I pray that we can be, "quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger." (James 1:19).

Krista Jones
3.3.08

No comments: