Friday, December 29, 2006

Your Words

"For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel - not with words of human wisdom, least the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." I Corinthians 1:17

I came across this verse a few weeks ago and was struck by the last part of it, "least the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." I often wonder how my words, which lack much wisdom, have cause the cross of Christ to be emptied of its power. Maybe it's the times I've not spoken up when I should have. Or the times I've even said something damaging against my faith just to fit in with the crowd. Or how about the times when I was puffed up with what I thought was wisdom filled words that only caused division and/or pain amongst those I love.

The Bible says, "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." (Proverbs 12:18). What we say can either be deadly or bring upon blessings. What we say greatly affects God's Kingdom. I tend to be opinionated and stubborn. If I feel a wrong has been committed I will push to find a way to correct it. Why? Because I, and I repeat I, have wanted to change it for my own desires. Was God in my stubborn thoughts of making right a wrong? NO! I have even done this at the expense of the other person's feelings. How damaging are my actions and words have been! "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." (Proverbs 21:23).

Let us all remember to guard our tongues from damaging ourselves, those we are speaking to or of and most of all remembering that whatever we do will impact the Cross of Christ.

Krista Jones
12.19.06

No comments: