Friday, February 08, 2008

The Flawless Words of God

This morning I read about how Jacob moved his whole family to Egypt where he was reunited with his son Joseph. Throughout the book of Genesis, God had moved each person through their trials and wove an intricate web to bring about His plans of preserving His chosen people. Over the weekend one of my studies started out as a word search on "trumpet". I discovered that trumpets were used in the O.T. to call the community together, signal battle, used to warn, used for celebrating, praising and worshiping. In the N.T. it was a sound that went before the Lord and/or announced His return. And it is said in Revelation 4:1 that His voice is like a trumpet, "After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said . . . "

That got me to thinking what the voice of the Lord sounded like. My word search on "voice" was cut short as I ran out of time but what I did learn was that His voice was heard in many different ways - like a trumpet blast, fire, wind, thunder and a gentle whisper. I believe He uses any means to speak to us as the situation calls for. Last night in my discipleship reading I came across a great verse I'm sure I glossed over many times. Psalm 12:6, "And the words of the Lord are flawless, like sliver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times." Silver becomes more pure the more you refine it which means that the Lord's words being flawless means that they're perfect. As I look up the word flawless I discovered that shield is connected to it in many passages. "As for God, His way is perfect: the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." Psalm 18:30. Which says the same thing as 2 Samuel 22:31, "As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." and Psalm 30:5, "Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him."

Throughout the life of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph I see that God's words have been flawless, perfect in timing and protecting like a shield. These men went through the fire but remained faithful in listening to the words of their one true Father. I pray that we will be still and listen to our Father's voice. To be guided by Him and Him alone. I know it's hard in the word we live in that muddles our brain with noise. Stay in the Word and fine tune your spiritual ears to be able to ignore the useless sounds of our world and be able to listen to the gentle whisper of our Lord.

Krista Jones
1.26.08

No comments: